2 semesters, 2 completion options, 100% online: the RN-BSN Online
Open yourself up to new career opportunities when you complete your RN-BSN
Meet the demand of 72 percent of U.S. healthcare organizations that prefer to hire BSN-prepared nurses1 with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) Online from Oklahoma City University. Our RN to BSN online curriculum will give you the edge you’re after as you consider how to advance your nursing career whether you’re driven by the prospect of achieving a certain role, rate of pay, or set of skills. The BSN Online provides you with a strong set of baccalaureate nursing skills that you can put into practice immediately in your current role and use to access advanced jobs in the future. You’ll learn from expert faculty with national networks who are invested in your success and connect with peers who are on similar academic and career journeys.
- 3 starts each year: spring, summer, and fall
- Full time completion option: Complete in as few as 12 months (2 semesters)
- Part time completion option: Complete in as few as 24 months (4 semesters)*
- Complete in as few as 12 months (2 semesters)
- 124 credits total
- 5 core nursing courses (18 credits)
- 4 elective courses (12 credits)
- 72 credits awarded for an active, unencumbered U.S. Registered Nurse license
- Up to 22 credits for portfolio experiences
- 100% online, asynchronous lesson delivery and coursework with no traditional clinical hours
This will only take a moment.
Get a Program Brochure
Considering a nursing degree to take your career to the next level? Your journey starts here. Complete the form to get a program brochure for the Oklahoma City University RN-BSN Online.
Get valuable insights into the OCU online experience, learn more about the curriculum, and see where this degree can take you.
Earning your BSN online will set both you and your patients up for better outcomes:
- More than 28% of hospitals and healthcare organizations require new hires to hold BSN degrees,1 and 72% express a strong preference for nurses with BSNs1
- Research consistently shows that lower mortality rates, fewer medication errors, and positive outcomes are all linked to higher levels of education2
- Baccalaureate-prepared RNs reported being significantly better prepared than associate degree nurses on 12 out of 16 areas related to quality and safety, including evidence-based practice, data analysis, and project implementation2
- One study found that a 10% increase in the proportion of nurses holding BSN degrees decreased the risk of surgical patient death and failure to rescue by 5%3
Earn your BSN online to find a new or advanced role in:
RN to BSN online credit distribution
Students enrolled in the RN to BSN online will earn a total of 124 credits. Oklahoma City University curriculum will provide 18 credits of core nursing courses along with at least 12 credits of elective coursework. Upon enrollment, 72 credits will be awarded for an active, unencumbered U.S. registered nurse license, and up to 22 credits for portfolio experiences will be awarded for professional nursing certifications or prior courses taken that were not required by the RN program where the degree was awarded.
If a student doesn’t possess 22 credits of portfolio experiences they may meet the requirement by enrolling in additional electives courses.
RN to BSN online core curriculum
BSN online graduates from Oklahoma City University will gain critical competencies and knowledge on topics like ethical and legal nursing care, critical thinking for problem solving and making effective clinical judgements, promoting holistic health (physical, mental, and spiritual) for patients of all ages and cultures, care coordination and management across the healthcare system, exemplifying acceptance and respect for patients.
NURS 4202 Professional Nursing (2 credit hours)
NURS 4403 Health Assessment (3 credit hours)
NURS 4605 Community Health Nursing (5 credit hours)
NURS 4503 Nursing Research (3 credit hours)
NURS 4805 Nursing Leadership (5 credit hours)
RN to BSN online elective courses
Arts and Science faculty outside of the Kramer School of Nursing teach elective courses. All courses are 8-week online courses. Each adult degree completion program (ADCP) course offers a diversity of topic options and may be repeated with a change in topic. Students who do not meet the 22 credits of portfolio experiences upon admittance to the BSN online may meet the requirement by enrolling in additional electives courses.
- ADCP 1103 Topics in Wellness (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1113 Topics in Oral Communication (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1123 Topics in Written Communication (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1133 Topics in Math (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1143 Topics in Science (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1153 Topics in Social Science (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1163 Topics in Culture and Language (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1173 Topics in Humanities (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1183 Topics in Film (3 credit hours)
- ADCP 1193 Topics in Art (3 credit hours)
- PSYC 2303 Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences (3 credit hours)
The gateway to opportunity is through Oklahoma City University’s RN to BSN Online
One of the most compelling reasons to earn a BSN is that the degree’s value is continuously compounded. Consider, for example, that one study found that increasing the amount of care within an organization provided by BSNs to 80% would result in significantly lower readmission rates and shorter lengths of stay.3 Not only are these outcomes good for patients and better for the emotional resilience of nursing staff, but these outcomes also translate into cost savings for the entire organization.
Earn your BSN online to watch the domino effect of positive outcomes add up.
- Retrieved on May 4, 2023, from aacnnursing.org/Portals/0/PDFs/Data/Research-Brief-10-22.pdf
- Retrieved on March 15, 2022, from aacnnursing.org/news-information/fact-sheets/impact-of-education
- Retrieved on March 15, 2022, from myamericannurse.com/why-you-should-get-your-bsn/
*Speak to an Admissions Outreach Advisor for additional course sequencing details